Hidden Treasures: Interview with Alfie Picone of La Dolce Casa

Photo: La Dolce Casa
La Dolce Casa is Italian for "Home Sweet Home" and Tamaqua's own La Dolce Casa(DiMaggio's) most definitely lives up to its name. In business since 1987, the restaurant offers genuine Italian cuisine that you won't find anywhere else. From the moment you step in the door, you are immediately greeted with open arms and a smile. The atmosphere is inviting, and welcoming, as if the owner himself, Mr. Alfie Picone, is inviting you into his own home. From the intricate paintings, to the decoratively painted windows every Christmas, (which includes a massive tree displayed on the sidewalk on West Broad Street), to the live music, to the warm and inviting atmosphere, it is clear that when you are at La Dolce Casa, you are most definitely family.  Alonna has been coming to La Dolce Casa since she was a toddler, and it has always been, and will continue to be a favorite of hers, which is why she was able to catch up with Alfie for a couple short questions, to help her get more of an insight as to the beginnings of her favorite spot to go to when she’s in town. Here’s what Alfie had to say!


Alonna: So, my first question is, what does ‘La Dolce Casa’ mean?


Alfie: La Dolce Casa is Italian for “The Sweet House” or “Home Sweet Home”


Alonna: How did you get started in the restaurant business?


Alfie: In 1987, I came to America for a vacation, and I was working with my cousin. While working with my cousin, I was approached by a gentleman who had said to me “You are a hard worker, I want to invest in your business” and I had decided that I wanted to open a restaurant, and took the man up on his offer. I have been here for 32 years now, and it is still a dream come true. 


Alonna: Where do your recipes come from? Are they your own or your mothers or grandmothers?


Alfie: The recipes are all my mothers and my grandmothers, so it’s all family secrets.


Alonna: What is the one thing you love about being here in America? 


Alfie: I love everything about this country, it is my home. You know, I have endured lots of things in my life, but I would not change it for anything. I love being able to be in business, and live and work in such a beautiful country. 


Alonna: Any closing remarks?


Alfie: If you don’t work hard, you won’t succeed, so always work hard!


La Dolce Casa's main entrance(Photo from Facebook)

And if you are local to Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, and you haven’t been to La Dolce Casa yet, you are definitely missing out! So, come on down anytime, enjoy some delicious Italian cuisine, some wine, some Italian ambiance (including their live accordion player, Luigi!) and become a part of the family! (You’ll be glad you did!) 

La Dolce Casa
16 W Broad St
Tamaqua, PA

Special thanks to Alfie Picone


Questions/Article written by Alonna Weaver


All Rights Reserved, 570 Press, 2019.





Alonna & Alfie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sounds of the Season: Penn State's A Capella Group

Interview with Tallah's Max Portnoy