Marshall Law by Tedd Hazard Album Review


So, I'm sitting at my sister's kitchen table, surrounded by nursing paperwork, a half eaten bologna sandwich, and a six year old's sock (just one) while having a cup of hot chocolate at 130 in the afternoon. I've been meaning to listen to this new album Marshall Law, recently released by Tedd Hazard, and I figure, “Now works”. See, I've never heard Hazard's music before, or met him, but a good friend of mine is an old buddy of his and she told me that he's super talented, so I hit play.
Completely not what I was expecting, but I'm guessing that's a lot of what Hazard likes to do (given his style and his lyrics). If you're looking for the sweet, sultry voice of your usual indie rock singers, move along. Hazard's vocals, like the rest of his music, are gritty and honest. This isn't the album you asked for, but it's definitely one you need.
This album's energy reads clearly: I'm sick and tired of the bullshit, I'm calling all of you motherfuckers out. Don't like it? GTFO.
Me too, dude, me too.
That being said, the energy and the sound here creates an album that I can only describe as Angry Indie Punk Rock. With great acoustic guitar and well placed/well played harmonica, it's got that indie rock feel, but the message and the vocals are definitely more of an in your face punk vibe. And of course there's the underlying anger in the music, or even of just the feeling of being fed up with shit.
The guitar on this album definitely reminds me of that great combo of good flow and kick ass rock which Flogging Molly is known for. It's not meant to lull you to sleep or to help you chill for a good ol' study sesh, it's meant to get you feeling, get you thinking, get you moving. The great guitar plus that beautiful harmonica isn't helping you into a chair, it's telling you to get the fuck up, take a good look around, and reevaluate your shit.
I dig the sound and I love any and all good harmonica, but I gotta say that my favorite part about the songs on Marshall Law is the lyrics. Lines like, “I've burnt more bridges than I've ever crossed, I won't ask the way, I'd rather just stay lost” (Xenophobia, Warrior Princess tm), “Don't call me an anarchist, I don't like labels. Once I thought I was punk rock, but I'm not that stable” (Molotov White Claw), and “'I'm not racist' never heard more famous last words. Your wall will not protect you from the trolling you deserve” (Famous Last Words) just stick out so damn well. They're honest, comical, and, once again, calling out the people who need that reality check.
That's something that I really enjoy about this album, Hazard's honesty about who he is, the ghosts he deals with, and his own flaws. Having this kind of self-acceptance and honest self-reflection gives a person a clearer perspective of our society and our immediate surroundings. Having that kind of self-awareness really gives someone that edge of “You can't bullshit a bullshitter” and Hazard definitely has that edge.
Marshall Law is Hazard's first full length album since 2016 and he's come back out of the gate with a vibe which tastes like Hunter S. Thompson meets Bukowski. He's pulling the pretty masks off of every asshole with a soapbox and that is exactly what we need.
Get your copy of Hazard's new album, Marshall Law at: https://tedd-hazard.bandcamp.com/



-Review by Jamie Weaver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Treasures: Interview with Alfie Picone of La Dolce Casa

Sounds of the Season: Penn State's A Capella Group

Interview with Tallah's Max Portnoy